Thursday, June 17, 2010

Meet the Boxes

Drew laughing at Super-fun Uncle Jonathan

Drew has had a chance to meet most of our immediate family on my dad's side in the last couple of months, and he still hasn't packed his bags and tried to hitchhike off to Alaska with a sign that says "get me out of here before Thanksgiving!"  Seriously, my dad's family is wonderful.  My Granddaddy loved babies and little kids and I wish he'd had a chance to meet Drew - but the neat thing is that love of little ones lives on in his 4 sons!  My grandmother had 4 boys in a row. That's FOUR. Boys.  And my Granddaddy loved babies so much he would come home from work and if they were napping he'd wake them up to play with them.  As a mom I now understand why that made her so steaming mad!

My Dad and his 3 brothers are, in order: Jimmy, Jerry (my dad), Jack and Jay.  Yes, we're THAT family. The next generation includes a James (who goes by David), Jessica, Jason and Jonathan.  And Steven. We're not sure where that came from, but we love him anyway. :)   Here's the Boxes in 2004 at Thanksgiving.  I think Jim (LaGrone) was taking the picture, since we weren't quite sure if we were keeping him yet. ;) (we were engaged at the time).


Front: Jay, Jack, Marlain, Jason, Jonathan
(look at that cute little 11 year old! He's 17 now and will hate me for posting this. Love ya, little bro!)
Back: Gayle, Jessica, Jim, Kathy, Jerry (Dad)

This is just to introduce you to the super-fantastic Boxes as you get to see Drew meeting each of them...

 
My dad and stepmom (Kathy) were of course at the hospital the day Drew was born.  Here they are when they came to The Woodlands to see Drew again a couple of weeks later.  He's grown so much since then - he probably wouldn't fit in my dad's lap like that now!

 
Uncle Jack and Aunt Marlain were in Hawaii when Drew was born!  But they got home as fast as they could and got to meet him back in March when he was still a bitty baby.

 
Marlain knows how to charm dogs and babies.  My dog Pacey goes NUTS and jumps up and down when she sees Marlain's car pull up in the drive. I fully expect Drew to do the same very soon.

 
Jay and Gayle live in Kentucky now, and thier son Jason is a tennis coach in Maine, but they were all in Austin for Memorial Day weekend.  Here are the amazing Rock Band trio of Jason, Jay and Jonathan. 
U2, look out... here come the Boxes!

 
Drew with Uncle Jay

 
Drew with Cousin Jason - later I think they went out and worked on his forehand.

 
Drew with Aunt Gayle. She loves babies and was so good with him!

 
Jason and Drew are watching Uncle Jonathan rehearse his performance for National History Day.
He won 3rd place in the whole country! We're so proud of him!

 
Here's Uncle Jonathan himself. History champion. Drew's pretty impressed with him.

 
Just a couple of weeks later we got a rare treat: Cousin David came to visit from Ohio!

 
And the last Box brother to meet Drew was Uncle Jim.
It gets confusing sometimes having 2 Jims in one family. 
We can't even say, "You know which Jim I mean, Jim the big Dallas Cowboys fan!"
Because that doesn't help at all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an amazing effort. You guys work really hard at this. I guess that is what Drew was talking about when he told me on the last visit, "I'm glad they have a blog. They have to work on it sometimes, and I get a little break from all the picture taking."
    I really love the picture of Jessica, Drew and Jonathan laughing together. As for myself, I would appreciate it if you would use some shots of me from 20 years ago and photoshop Drew into them.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a joy to read. Thank you, Jessica.
    Drew will be so big when we get to see him Thanksgiving!

    We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the blog and seeing pictures of both sides of your family. Umm...not certain, but it looks like Drew will have beautiful silver hair one day.

    ReplyDelete