Monday, April 26, 2010

Mommy Group


When Drew was 3 weeks old he and I began attending a Mommy's Group on Monday mornings at Memorial Hermann Hospital. The group is for first time moms (with a few seasoned moms) of infants. It was the first outing we went on by ourselves, and it's funny to think how intimidating that was for me for the first time: loading him up in the car, driving 10 minutes without being able to see him behind me, figuring out how to put him in the stroller and getting him into the hospital for the group. We were 7 minutes late and I was the first one there. I soon found out most of the moms arrive 15-30 minutes after the official start time! It was a great place to make friends, to talk about poop and breastfeeding and sleep (or lack of it) and all the things that we were all dealing with on a daily basis, but didn't dare bore anyone else with. It was also a really non-threatening place to practice nursing a baby away from home, changing them on a blanket on the floor, and showing up without having showered or slept in a while. Everyone else just understood.

Drew was the youngest and only boy among the regulars. We made quite a few good friends. The picture above is of baby Hadley (by far the most social) checking Drew out. By the last week he was cooing and smiling back at her.


Kate and I became good friends and went to lunch a few times. We also met up with husbands and babies for dinner one night at Berry Hill. Kate is a biology teacher and will go back to teaching for a few weeks when her maternity leave ends, and then get a summer break. Her little girl, Kalie, is just a couple of weeks older than Drew, but I think he weighs more. He's a chunk! Kalie led the way in smiling and holding up her head, and Drew was trying to catch up. I'm so grateful for Kate's friendship and the chance to talk babies, biology, and lots of other things while on break from my regular community at church.


One week four of us went to lunch together at Freebirds after the group. We got some interesting looks when we put four infant carriers up on the same table! All the babies were really good.


Here's Kalie, Madalyn, Hadley and Drew all in a row. This Monday was my last week at the Mommy group, but I'm hoping the friendships will continue and that our babies will play together again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica! I'm so excited to have discovered your blog! Drew is darling....LOVE the hair. I look forward to keeping up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that you got to go to the mommy/baby class. I was going to go, but then after Ethan was born I forgot about it. LOL. Kate was in my 6 week long childbirth class. It was cool to get to see her baby thorugh your photo.

    ReplyDelete